Superior Court of California

County of San Francisco

Access to the Court

| ADA Index |

General Information


Rule 1.100 (old 989.3)

Examples of Requests

ADA Coordinators

General Information

As a person with a disability utilizing the courts, you may be eligible for accommodations to meet your disability-related needs.

What are accommodations? They include equipment and/or assistance that will enable persons with disabilities to have full access to activities of the court. For those people with different disabilities, accommodations may include different options.

For general information on accommodations, you may phone a tape-recorded announcement at (415) 551-4000.

A TDD line has been installed for persons who are deaf or hearing impaired. The access number is (415) 551-4001.  All questions related to all branches of the San Francisco Superior Court can be handled via this number.

Click here for courthouse information.


Frequently Asked Questions

What law governs accommodations?

California Rule of Court 1.100 (formerlly 989.3) governs requests for accommodations by person with disabilities. It implements Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, a federal law granting equal rights to persons with disabilities using state and local governmental services like the courts.

Do I need to fill out a form to request an accommodation?

The Rule allows a person with a disability to make an oral request for accommodation, but you may need to complete Judicial Council Form MC-410.

When do I need to make the request for an accommodation?

You should make your request at least five working days in advance of the day that you will need the accommodation. The court may allow you to ask at the last minute, or with less than five days' notice, but it is much better to be on the safe side and ask five working days in advance.

Will the court always request for accommodations?

The court may not grant your request if it would create an undue financial or administrative burden on the court, or if "the requested accommodation would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity."

What if the court turns down my request?

If the court denies your request, you have the right to appeal. Ask the person who denied the request for details. The formal appeal process is described in subsection (g) of Rule 1.100 (formally 989.3).


Rule  1.100 (Formally 989.3)

California Rule of Court 1.100 Governs

You may need to fill out Judicial Council Form MC-410 to request  accommodations in the courtroom.

You can get the form at any window in the Clerk's office. Click on this link for a list of court locations.

You will probably want to read California Rule of Court 1.100, which governs access to the courts by means of accommodations. It is posted in the Clerk's office.

You can also read the rule at any of the three branches of the County Law Library.


Examples of Accommodations that may be Requested


If you have a vision disability, you may request printed information in large type.


You may request to have forms read to you.


If you have hearing disabilities, you may request an accommodation such as an American Sign Language Interpreter or an assistive listening device.


You may request Computer Assisted Real Time Captioning in court proceedings.


Staff may also be able to help you with your questions through the use of written notes or a computer terminal.


Public telephones with amplification are available as listed.


If you have a cognitive disability, learning disability, or biological brain illness, you may also request assistance with filling out forms and with having written information explained to you. However, by law, clerks cannot provide legal advice.


If you have difficulty with spoken instructions and information, written instructions
and information may also be available.


You may also request assistance with finding offices or other locations in the Courthouse.


If you use a wheelchair, the courthouse is wheelchair accessible.


If you have other mobility disabilities, you may get assistance if you need a seat while waiting in line.


You may request assistance with writing or filling out forms. However, by law, clerks cannot provide legal advice.


Your service animal is always welcome.


You may want to request a scheduling change.


For any request for accommodations, including one of the examples listed here, you may need to request the accommodation on Judicial Council Form MC-410.